Jhunjhuna was founded by the Kainkhani
Nawabs in the middle of the 15th century and remained under them till it was
taken over by the Rajput ruler Sardar Singh in the year 1730. The British
troops based their Shekhawati Brigade in this very place to halt the
activities of the local bandits in and nearby Jhunjhunu during that time.
Today, temples and Havelis decorated with tiles and mirror mosaic envelop
this enchanting place.
Jhunjhunu is situated at a distance of 245 km from Delhi and 180 km from
Jaipur. It is counted as one of the largest towns of Shekhawati in the state
of Rajasthan. The place is currently the district headquarter of the region.
The city feels a maximum temperature of 42°C in the summers while it
lower to a minimum of 5°C in the winter season. The ideal time to visit
the place is the colder days.
Badani Chand Well -
The well is placed on the north west
side of the town surmounted by four imposing minarets. It was treated like a
temple since water is of immense importance in the desert. There is a small
sacred temple for the Hindus at this well and it is named after Hanuman. The
well was decorated with rich paintings and one of the four pavilion was
erected nearby so that women folks could gather and exchange news. Nearby is
an old inn for the caravans to take a halt during their journey.
Ajit Sagar Lake -
To the farthest north of Jhunjhunu is
the picturesque artificial Ajit Sagar Lake, built by Jitmai Khaitan in 1902.
The Lake filled by rain water comes running down from the sides of the Moda
Pahar and very seldom dries up. Pavilions are constructed on each corner of
the lake where paintings are carved beautifully beneath the dome. Peoples
generally quench their thirst from the lake.
Mertani Baori Well -
North west to the fort and named
after Mertani, the widow of Sardul Singh ,it was built in 1783 AD. Recently
restored, the stepwell is 30 m deep and its sulphuric waters are said to
contain skin diseases. The sides of the well give access to a series of cool
rooms in which visitors could rest on their way.
Dargah of Kamaruddin Shah -
South of Kana Pahar lies the
blueish coloured Dargah from where a good view of the town can be seen. A
ramp leads to the entrance and the steps lead to the roof top from the court
yard. Kali Pahari is to the east of the Dargah. The Dargah complex consists
of a madrassa, a mosque and a mehfilkhana, at which religious fest are held.
Also seen are the fragmants of paintings depicting floral motifs around the
Khetri Mahal -
Small byelanes lead to the Khetri Mahal,
considered one of the finest buildings in Shekhawati region. The palace
dates back to the period of 1770 and was built by Bhopal Singh, the founder
of Khetri. There are no doors and windows in the palace but intrinsic series
of arches and columns gives an elegant symmetry to the mansion. The private
chambers contain two small alcoves which retain the fragmants of paintings
in natural earth pigments.
Mohanlal Ishwardas Modi Haveli -
The haveli dates back
to the lastleg of the 19th century and has an inevitable train on the front
decade. From the entrace to the courtyard are scenes from the legends of
Krishna stealing clothes from the gopis to hiding up the trees with the
sarees. In the adjacent arch can be seen British imperial figures including
monarch and judges.
The tiny bazaar nearby offers an array of goods from traditional jewellery
and colorful bangles to saris and traditional shoes and modern amenities.
Bargaining skills are at best useful and handy .
Just 2 km from the bus stand is the Hotel Shiv Shekhawati, a hot favourite
with the travellers. The hotel comes with well finished double rooms,
attached bath and air coolings. Other important places to stay are Hotel
Jamuna Resort set in a pleasant garden with a swimming pool, Sangam hotel
,Shekhawati heritage and Hotel Shalimar.